Monday, August 19, 2013

Lush Lip Scrub Review

At the freezing start of this year, when waiting for the bus could result in the loss of toes to frost bite, I found my lips started to get very dry and flaky. As someone who uses a moisturising lip balm regularly I was surprised as I normally had soft, crack free lips. Seeing as the colder months are my favourite time to wear deep, dark lip colours I wanted a quick solution to my lip dilemma. The obvious remedy for dry flaky skin is exfoliation. I am a huge believer in exfoliating your skin regularly (not just your lips, I'm talking head to toe dead skin cell removing, body firming exfoliation) however before last winter I'd never really felt like my lips of all places needed to be exfoliated. Oh how wrong I was!



I must admit, I am a sucker for popping into Lush at the top of Henry Street in Dublin whenever I'm shopping just to smell their products. This store smells divine. The bath products all smell out of this world and because of this I'd never really looked at anything else in the store bar the fizzy bath bombs and luxurious creams. However, after researching lip exfoliators online I had noticed that Lush actually had a range of deliciously flavoured lip scrubs. Intrigued, I popped into the Lush store on my way home that Friday and had a gander at them.

The lip scrubs are usually situated around the cash registers at the top of the store. They come in three sumptuous flavours: Bubblegum, Popcorn and Mint Julips.


Lush claims to focus less on fancy packaging and more on the quality of the ingredients in their products. All these lip scrubs are vegan friendly and are preservative free. The two main ingredients in these are castor sugar (to gently remove the dead skin) and organic jojoba oil (to soothe and moisturise). After these main ingredients there are other natural ingredients added to create the flavouring for each scrub.

I chose 'My Boy Lollipop' a cheerful pink coloured, bubblegum flavoured lip scrub as I am not a huge fan of the taste of mint and I found the popcorn one just too salty. 'My Boy Lollipop' tastes sugary sweet and smells delicious.


This lip scrub uses fine castor sugar grains to gently buff and remove flaky dead skin. This is best achieved by dabbing your fingertip into the pot and once a few grains are stuck to your finger taking it and rubbing it in small circles across both your lower and upper lip working into the corners from the centre to ensure the skin on your lips is all fresh and clean. Then the jojoba oil acts, soaking into the newly revealed skin, it moisturises and nourishes your fresh and flake free lips.

The directions for use recommend that you "scrub and buff your lips to softness" and then "lick off the excess" before applying your favourite lip balm. However I like to use mine when I'm either in the shower or washing my face with warm water. I find that warm water softens the skin making it easier to remove dead skin cells without tearing your lips. I also don't particularly like to lick my lips clean. Not that the scrub doesn't taste lovely and sugary sweet, I just don't like the idea of eating my own dead skin- but that's just me! I use this scrub every second or third day, in the winter I might even use it every day depending on how my lips are faring. I really believe this is like a miracle cure as it removes flaky, chapped looking skin from my lips leaving them looking soft and smooth. The best part is, the little 25g pot lasts forever as I have had it for about eight months now and the pot is still over half way full!


These lip scrubs do seem pricey at around €8 a pot. However considering how long the product lasts and how well it treats dry flaky lips I would recommend it to anyone. It's perfect if you were planning on wearing a dark lip colour and find you have dry lips as it takes seconds to work, it also works as a regular exfoliator to keep your lips healthy and in kissable smooth condition!

No comments:

Post a Comment